The monster is quilted

I have finally completed the quilting on my monster quilt. All that is left is to bind and label it, then give it as a Christmas present. As a result, no photos for now. I spent the last week finishing the remaining 32 snowball blocks, and completed the work approximately one hour ago. I needed a cup of tea to relax and establish a plan of action for tomorrow!

I have also been busy with my class at Seneca College. I have 21 samples to complete, as well as a skirt and top. I have been keeping up with all of my assignments and the end is in sight. I handed in my skirt last Saturday, another stab at Burda 7185, this time the shorter view A. There were certain requirements that had to be added: a centred back zipper and side seam pockets. The skirt did not go as smoothly as it did in the original iteration. The zip, in particular, is not my best work, nor is the hem. The pockets are not bad, although I am not a fan of pockets on skirts. The method we learned in class grounds the pockets to the front of the skirt, so at least they will not shift the way they do when they are part of the side seam. However, they add bulk and I simply do not care for the effect. I will post photos later.

I am more excited about the Style Arc Coco that I am making as part of a sew-along. I lost my way for several weeks. The Coco is a Chanel-style cardigan jacket, but has yokes on the front and back. The jackets shown in the sew-along did not, and I mulled for a long time about how much to construct before quilting the lining. Last week, Craftsy introduced a class, The Iconic Tweed Jacket, which proved very helpful. After my parent interviews were over yesterday, I visited the garment district and picked up some silk dupioni at Queen Textiles and some grosgrain and braid at Mokuba. I changed my mind about using rayon bemberg for the lining and will use the silk instead. It is gorgeous! The effect with the wool is quite striking.

These are the wool and silk fabrics I am using for my Coco.

These are the wool and silk fabrics I am using for my Coco.

8 metres of trim: grosgrain ribbon and olive braid.

8 metres of trim: grosgrain ribbon and olive braid.

The trim will not be placed on this particular jacket piece (it is the side front), but I wanted to show how the ribbon and braid will look on the jacket fabric.

The trim will not be placed on this particular jacket piece (it is the side front), but I wanted to show how the ribbon and braid will look on the jacket fabric.

I still need to track down chain to weight the hem, but that step is some way off. I still have to start construction! Now that Oh my stars! (aka the monster) is quilted, I have my sewing machine back for garment sewing. I am excited to get started!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: