I am in a bit of a quilting moment. Garment sewing is on the back burner, although I did attend a class for five weeks to get me through a jacket project (still in progress, but close to the end!). Mum’s birthday is at the end of March, so I decided to make her another quilt. She loves Mini Coopers, so I was on the hunt for fabric with cars resembling Minis. I was unsuccessful with the commercial lines available, but tracked down a cute print at Spoonflower.
The orange fabric was the cause of much blue language! It is considered a basic, but in this particular pattern (Mod Pod by Carolina Patchworks), its inherent directionality quickly became apparent as I was piecing the blocks.
Needless to say, further yardage was purchased to correct my cutting errors, just before closing on a Sunday afternoon at the only quilt shop in the GTA open on Sundays. I also used it as the binding, but wisely cut it on the bias so that the dominant line did not look weird. Still, I think it turned out well.
If one takes a ruler to it, the little TVs do not match perfectly (I know because I did just that!), but the effect is there. I needed a pattern that would showcase the Minis, and this one fit that goal. It was a simple pattern to piece, made more challenging by disagreeable fabric, but I like it.
It was also the first time that I designed a backing!
The Minis are huge, 18″ squares, bordered by an orange that would have posed no problems on the quilt top (but for the colour!). I then cut a narrow panel for the left side of the squares, and a wider one for the right. I used up almost all of the Mini fabric, although Mum got a few scraps. I have since found a few more, so I’ll send them on as well. I really don’t do scraps!