Style Arc Robin

I made a mock up of the Robin a week or so ago, in a cotton fabric that I purchased over a year ago. I am now trying to get rid of the fabric and I am questioning my judgement in having bought it.

Style Arc Robin Top in objectionable fabric.

Style Arc Robin Top in objectionable fabric.

I have since picked up my first order from Fabric Mart (with a second order on its way!). In it, I purchased a yard of a paisley cotton poplin, much more suited to the task and the top! Here is the new, wearable Robin top:

Style Arc Robin

Style Arc Robin

I think it looks much better in this fabric. It is also a much nicer fabric to wear. All of the details I love in this pattern are intact: the back closure, the side vents and a centre back vent.

Style Arc Robin, back view.

Style Arc Robin, back view.

Next time, I will not set in the concealed zipper with the seam unsewn. It is too difficult to finish the seam nicely afterwards. I have a gap above the zipper where I just could not get into the space. Style Arc recommends basting the entire seam, but I did not learn, until a few days later, how to set the zip into the sewn seam. It was easy, and I used the insertion method on the skirt I made after this top.

Flat, it is a bit wrinkly. But, you can see that I have five paisley motifs on the front.

Flat, it is a bit wrinkly. But, you can see that I have five paisley motifs on the front.

I really wanted to showcase the paisley, but, because of the large motif, had to be careful in placing the pattern. I was worried about having the motif centered on the bust, for example. It took a bit of work in the layout stage, but I found the paisleys lined up like the pips on a die and went with it.

I made the back symmetrical with the front, again using five paisley motifs. The centre motif is interrupted by the concealed zipper.

I made the back symmetrical with the front, again using five paisley motifs. The centre motif is interrupted by the concealed zipper.

I used the same die pip pattern of paisleys on the back. Yes, I am that anal! The centre paisley is interrupted by the zipper, but it worked out quite well. The paisleys are also interrupted in the darts, but they are so large that nothing gets lost.

The Robin is a great top that uses very little fabric: only a yard, even with fussy, nitpicky cutting around motifs. I’m really pleased that my fussiness paid off.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: