I need tops! That was what a wardrobe analysis revealed. I have few tops and fewer blouses. I seem to be attracted to dresses when I am making projects, but I rarely wear them in my daily interactions with seven-year-olds. I decided that I should get some blouses made this summer and set about finding a pattern that had shape and interesting details. I came across Vogue 8772 because I was looking for a tie blouse, but decided to first embark on a more subdued, collared view. I chose view C, but with the sleeves of view F (I really hate short-sleeved shirts on anyone, male or female. Not sure why, but there it is!).
I liked the shirttail hem, but wanted the elbow-length sleeve. I muslined it in one of my dreadful bundle fabrics from Fabric Mart last summer, and noticed pooling between the bust and shoulder. I also had extra length at centre back, which I pinned out. I made alterations on the pattern and used a fabric from my “What was I thinking?” Fabric Mart order. (See this blouse and this dress for more from the same shipment).
This was a cotton gauze, which stretched and was awful to work with. The collar is a shambles, the buttons are too big and the hem is uneven. I altered the pattern in the way I altered the muslin and it did not work. Furthermore, the print is absurd.
The fit was more or less there, so I went back and altered the patterns correctly, as per my favourite text: Fitting and Pattern Alteration before attempting a wearable blouse in a stable cotton gingham I purchased from Martha Pullen last summer. As a side note, I see that Martha Pullen no longer has these lovely cotton gingham fabrics on the website.
Apologies for the wrinkly bits; I did press it, but then I fussed. The sleeves hang weird on my dress form because her shoulders are so narrow. This one came together quickly, since I had just made it twice. Vogue 8772 is rated as an easy pattern, and it is, although there are aspects that require attention to detail, such as the collar and buttonholes. The collar came together much better on this version.
This is also a better view of the gingham. It is tiny, but so pretty! I suppose I am more of a geometric than a floral kind of person…
I used the correct size of buttons this time. It is remarkable how much of a difference 2mm (1/8 inch) makes! The Grace did a beautiful job on the buttonholes.
Overall, I am pleased with this blouse. I think it could be a little shorter, even after removing 2,5cm above the bust and at the centre back. Before making this again, I will shorten the body further, probably by at least 2,5cm (one inch). I like the darts in this pattern: there are two bust, two shoulder and four contour waist darts, all of which offer a lot of shape. The side seams are also shaped, so the blouses in this pattern are definitely feminine. I plan to continue tweaking this one and have ordered another blouse with princess seams for another blouse variation.